Graveyard Trifle with Meringue Ghost Cookies.
You can cook Graveyard Trifle with Meringue Ghost Cookies using 25 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Graveyard Trifle with Meringue Ghost Cookies
- Prepare of For the Brownies:.
- You need 200 g of butter.
- It’s 300 g of golden caster sugar.
- You need 2 of tbsps. golden syrup.
- You need 200 g of dark chocolate.
- It’s 50 g of milk chocolate.
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- You need 2 of tsps vanilla extract.
- You need 200 g of self-raising flour.
- It’s 4 of tbsps. cocoa powder.
- You need of For the Chocolate Custard.
- It’s 600 ml of milk.
- Prepare 100 g of caster sugar.
- It’s 4 of egg yolks.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 8 tsp of corn flour.
- You need 4 of tsps cocoa powder.
- You need 100 g of dark chocolate.
- It’s of For the meringue:.
- You need 4 of egg whites.
- You need 230 g of caster sugar.
- You need of To Assemble:.
- You need 3 of x tins of cherries in syrup.
- It’s 50 ml of kirsch (optional).
- It’s 600 g of bourbon biscuits.
Graveyard Trifle with Meringue Ghost Cookies step by step
- For the Brownies: Heat the oven to 180 C/160 C fan. Grease and line a roasting tin. Place the butter, sugar, syrup and chocolate in a saucepan and heat gently until melted and lump-free, then remove from the heat..
- Break the eggs into a jug and add the vanilla, mix lightly, set aside. IN a large bowl add the flour and cocoa powder with a pinch of salt, add the chocolate mix and stir, then fold through the egg mix..
- Once combined pour in the prepared tin, then cook for 30 mins. Once cooked allow to cool completely, then cut into squares..
- For the chocolate custard: Heat the milk in a pan until almost boiling, in the meantime, add the yolks, vanilla, sugar, cornflour and cocoa powder to a bowl and mix to a thick paste. When the milk is hot add to the bowl slowly, whisking the entire time, then transfer the mixture back into the pan and heat over a low heat whisking continuously until thickened, remove from the heat and stir through the chocolate until it is melted, leave to cool completely..
- For the meringues: Whip the egg whites until frothy, then add the sugar 1 tsp at a time, until stiff peaks are formed. Transfer into a piping bag and pipe the meringue into bone and ghost shapes, if you don’t have a piping bag you can use a zip lock bag with the corner cut..
- Cook on your ovens lowest temperate for 60 mins, then switch the oven off and open the door slightly and allow the meringues to cool completely in the oven, these can be made the day before. Once cool use an edible black pen, black food colouring or a little melted chocolate to create the ghost's faces..
- To assemble: The night before, or least a few hours before assembly, open the tins of cherries and drain, reserving the syrup, cut the cherries in half and remove the stones, put the cherries into a bowl, and add the kirsch and some of the syrup, cover and leave overnight. (leave out the kirsch if not using). You can aslo use cherry pie filling and just stir through the kirsch..
- Blitz the bourbon biscuits in a food processor, or bash with a rolling pin inside a zip lock bag..
- Layer half your brownies in the bottom of the trifle dish. Spoon over some of the cherry/kirsch liquid, then top with half the cherries, then spoon over the chocolate custard and then half the bourbons. Add the meringue bones against the side of the trifle dish with bourbon biscuits behind to look as thought they are buried in soil. Then repeat once more, with a layer of bourbon biscuits on top..
- Decorate with ghosts and bones sticking up through the soil..