Traditional Christmas Honey Cookies with Walnuts – Melomakarona. Melomakarona are honey and nut Greek cookies that are traditionally enjoyed during the Christmas and New Year's holidays. This is an oil-based cookie recipe that produces moist cake-like cookies flavored with orange and brandy, bathed in a sweet honey syrup, and topped with chopped walnuts. Made with honey and walnuts, Melomakarona are juicy and delicious and vegan.
It's THE most popular Greek Christmas. These amazingly aromatic little cookies are a traditional Greek Christmas treat…called "Melomakarona". Your house will be filled with aromas of orange, honey, cinnamon, and cloves… Allow them to drain on a wire rack. You can cook Traditional Christmas Honey Cookies with Walnuts – Melomakarona using 15 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Traditional Christmas Honey Cookies with Walnuts – Melomakarona
- Prepare 280 ml of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need 140 ml of melted butter.
- Prepare 140 ml of fresh orange juice.
- Prepare 1 of large egg.
- You need 2 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- You need 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground clove.
- Prepare 700 g of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 200 g of finely chopped walnuts.
- Prepare 420 g of pure honey.
- Prepare 130 g of sugar.
- It’s 300 ml of water.
- It’s of peel of an orange.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick.
Drizzle with honey and chopped walnuts. Once you try these Greek Christmas honey cookies (melomakarona!) with their gooey centres Immediately place them on a big plate and sprinkle with crushed walnuts and a pinch of ground Gooey, sticky traditional melomakarona or Greek Christmas honey cookies with delicious festive. These Greek Christmas honey cookies (melomakarona) are super quick to bake, so much fun to make and highly addictive! For a more traditional touch, garnish the melomakarona cookies with roughly chopped walnuts and just a pinch of cinnamon and clove.
Traditional Christmas Honey Cookies with Walnuts – Melomakarona instructions
- In a large bowl, mix olive oil, melted butter and orange juice with a whisk. Add the egg and mix well..
- In a separate bowl, whisk about ⅓ of the flour, cinnamon, clove, baking soda & sugar. Add this flour mixture to the bowl with the liquids and whisk well..
- Add ⅓ of the remaining flour and start mixing with your hand. It’s important to feel when to stop adding flour..
- Continue adding flour gradually and knead gently. When the dough is soft but not sticky, it means it’s ready. Stop adding flour..
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 30 min..
- Shape the dough into small balls, about 25g each (or the size of a walnut). Give each ball a cylindrical shape and make a pit in the center. Put ½ tsp of walnuts and pinch to seal it..
- Arrange them on a paper lined baking tray, seam side down. Prick them with a fork. This will help them absorb the syrup easily..
- Bake in a preheated oven, at 200⁰C / 400⁰F for 23 to 25 min. Let them cool completely before putting them in the syrup..
- Put water, sugar & honey in a medium pot, over medium heat. Stir and add the orange peel and the cinnamon stick..
- Let it come to a boil and remove the foam with a slotted spoon..
- After 4 min remove the peel and the cinnamon stick. Lower the heat..
- Put some cookies in the syrup, curved side down. Let them simmer for exactly 2 minutes!.
- Flip and let them simmer for another 2 min..
- Take them out of the syrup with the slotted spoon and transfer on a paper lined baking tray..
- Sprinkle with walnuts while they’re still wet from the syrup..
- Repeat the process for the rest of the cookies..
- Let them cool completely before serving..
These are soft cookies dipped in a honey syrup and covered with chopped walnuts. This is another of the few recipes my grandmother handed down to my mom and then my mom to me. I'm so grateful to have and remember them every time I bake these cookies. Photo and text by Panos Diotis and Mirella Kaloglou. Calories (per serving) Our personal favorites are the Melomakarona (pronounced mel-low-ma-KA-row-na); melomakarona are honey-orange-clove-cinnamon syrup-drenched soft cookies.