Spanish Mackerel Curry.
You can cook Spanish Mackerel Curry using 21 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spanish Mackerel Curry
- You need of A. Ingredients.
- Prepare of Spanish Mackerel – fried.
- It’s of (Rub Turmeric powder + salt on fish slices before frying).
- Prepare of ladies fingers / okra.
- Prepare of egg plant – thickly sliced.
- You need of B. Spices.
- It’s of cooking oil.
- It’s of mixed Indian spices (see Note).
- Prepare of C. Blend into a very fine paste.
- Prepare of medium or big brown onion.
- It’s of shallots.
- Prepare of garlic.
- It’s of soaked & softened dried chillies.
- Prepare of D. Make into a paste.
- It’s of Baba’s Fish Curry Powder.
- Prepare of Baba’s Meat Curry Powder.
- Prepare of E. Seasonings.
- It’s of Chicken seasoning powder.
- It’s of Note.
- You need of . Mixed Indian Spices or Panch Phoran can be bought ready mixed from the store.
- It’s of . Panch Phoran can also be prepared at home by mixing equal portion of fennel seed, cumin, fenugreek, mustard seed, nigella seed. Use a teaspoon full in this fish curry.
Spanish Mackerel Curry step by step
- A – Rub a teaspoon of turmeric powder and salt (or use chicken seasoning powder) on spanish mackerel slices. Fry fish slices until cooked through. Clean okra or ladies fingers’ stem (the very end of okras stem) and place okra on a hot wok. Cook at very high heat, without oil, for few minutes or until just wilted. This is to reduce the sliminess of the cut okra. Next, slice the eggplant..
- B – Use store-bought, pre-mixed indian spices or prepare at home by mixing equal portion of fennel seed, cumin, fenugreek, mustard seed and nigella seed. Use a teaspoon full of this mixed spices in this curry. Alternatively, just use a pinch of each spice..
- C – Place ingredients in C with 1/4 C – 1/3 C of water in a blender and blend into a very fine paste..
- D – Combine D in a bowl. Add enough water to make a soft curry paste, not too thick or too thin..
- Cooking the curry – Over medium heat, heat cooking oil in a big wok. Add B (mixed spices) and stir for few seconds..
- Add in C (blended ingredients) and cook until aromatic and translucent..
- Next, add D (curry paste) and continue cooking and stirring for 4-5 minutes or until oil is separated from the curry mixture..
- Pour 1 1/2 cups (to 2 cups) of water. Stir to mix and add sliced egg plant. Cover and bring to a boil and eggplant is tender. Season with enough chicken seasoning powder. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Add okra and fish. Bring curry to a boil again and turn the heat off right after that. Dish up. Serve with rice, dipping bread or roti..