Smoked mussel and saffron soup.
You can cook Smoked mussel and saffron soup using 17 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Smoked mussel and saffron soup
- You need of fresh mussels.
- You need of fish stock.
- You need of white wine.
- You need of clam nectar.
- Prepare of lemon balm.
- Prepare of lemon grass.
- Prepare of saffron.
- You need of apple wood chips.
- You need of thyme.
- It’s of heavy cream.
- It’s of bacon.
- It’s of mayonnaise.
- It’s of carrot.
- Prepare of shallot.
- You need of celery.
- It’s of baby Yukon gold potato (aka golden nugget).
- It’s of gherkin pickles.
Smoked mussel and saffron soup instructions
- Put white wine, lemon balm, thyme and lemon grass in a sauce pot and reduce by half.
- Place saffron in 1cup of steaming hot water cover and put aside..
- Smoke 10-15 mussels in a skillet. Do this by placing the wood chips in the skillet dry and bringing to a smoulder. Wrap the mussels in tin foil, poke some holes in it and place in the skillet with the wood chips. Cover and smoke for 5-10 mins..
- Once shells have opened, remove meat, place in a blender with the clam nectar and blitz!.
- Combine all liquids except saffron in a sauce pot and bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat to a simmer and liquid to 3/4 of original amount..
- Strain saffron tea through a fine sieve into the broth. Salt and pepper to taste..
- You should now have a vibrant yellow and Smokey broth..
- Fine dice the carrot, shallot, celery, potato and bacon. Sweat until soft and set aside to cool..
- Once all is cool, fine dice the gherkins and mix all together with mayonnaise. Salt and pepper to taste..
- You now have remoulade..
- In a covered sauce pan add saffron broth and enough mussels for 3 mussels per person to be served. *I use clams as well to add variety and texture..
- Place a spoon full of remoulade in the center of a shallow soup bowl..
- Once the mussels have opened in the broth, place them around the remoulade and add the broth..
- Garnish with a nice green herb of your choice and enjoy.
- Chili oil is an optional garnish that adds to the smokey flavour and brings an element of heat to the dish..