California Rolls. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
All you need is a sushi mat and you're ready to roll! Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side, squeezing down to make a nice tight roll. Squeeze down along the way to keep the roll from holding its shape. You can have California Rolls using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of California Rolls
- You need of bowlful Cooked rice (sushi rice).
- Prepare of sheet Nori seaweed.
- You need of Flying fish roe.
- You need of Sesame seeds.
- It’s of Filling ingredients (cut into the same lengths as the width of the nori seaweed).
- Prepare of of 1-cm-thickness Cucumber.
- You need of of 1-cm-thickness Thick tamagoyaki (rolled omelette).
- Prepare of of 1-cm-thickness Salmon (or crab stick).
- You need of cut lengthways Avocado.
- It’s of Red leaf lettuce.
- It’s of Garnishes (optional).
- Prepare of Pickled ginger in sweet vinegar.
- It’s of Daikon radish sprouts.
Transfer the roll onto a cutting board. Rub a knife on a damp paper towel before slicing the roll into six equal. Roll the California Roll using the bamboo mat and make sure that you tug the sushi rolls very tight. Keep rolling using the bamboo mat until you have have a nice roll.
California Rolls step by step
- Preparation: Cut the filling ingredients into the same lengths as the width of nori seaweed and 1-cm-thickness. Slice the avocado in eight lengthways..
- Place a sheet of nori onto cling film and spread the rice evenly (leave a front and end border to make it easier to roll up)..
- Flip over the sushi rice on the nori seaweed onto a piece of cling film..
- Place the lettuce on first and then put on the other fillings..
- Roll the sushi from the front. Press the sushi tightly with your fingers. (Do not roll the cling film inside the sushi. When you roll, remove the cling film at the same time.).
- After rolling the sushi cover with cling film and a makisu mat. Press the sushi firmly inside the makisu mat. Leave the sushi to sit for 10 to 20 minutes to rest the rice..
- Coat the sushi with sesame seeds and flying fish roe. Use a spoon to spread the flying fish roe evenly..
- Garnish with daikon radish sprouts and serve. The hotness of the pickled ginger and daikon sprouts enhance the sushi flavour..
- My family doesn't like sushi rice so I use normal cooked rice but it is still tasty. Serve with mayonnaise and soy sauce..
- The leftover ingredients are quite colourful so use them to make 'seafood delight salad'!.
A California roll is a creative American twist on sushi. This page will describe the California Uramaki. Uramaki has nori or seaweed on the inside and the rice on the outside, as opposed to a regular sushi roll, which usually has the seaweed on the outside. Make your own delicious California sushi rolls with seaweed sheets, sweet and tangy sushi rice, cucumber, avocado, and a creamy imitation crab filling. Roll up rice mixture over filling, using the bamboo mat to lift and compress the mixture while rolling; remove plastic wrap as you roll.