Lebkuchen (Elisenlebkuchen) with Rye.
You can have Lebkuchen (Elisenlebkuchen) with Rye using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lebkuchen (Elisenlebkuchen) with Rye
- You need 50 g of hazelnuts.
- Prepare 40 g of almond or hazelnut powder.
- You need 15 g of candied orange peel.
- Prepare 15 g of candied lemon peel.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of dry ginger.
- It’s 1 tsp of lemon or orange zest or mix.
- You need 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 7 g of lebkuchen spice mix (see in my recipe list).
- You need 15 g of rye flour.
- Prepare of ******.
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- Prepare 80 g of powdered sugar.
- It’s of ******.
- You need 8-12 of oblaten depending on size (as a substitute I use flavorless crackers like Carr's Water Crackers).
Lebkuchen (Elisenlebkuchen) with Rye instructions
- Mix nuts, citrus peel, ginger, zest, vanilla, lebkuchen spice and rye flour in a bowl..
- Put the mixture into a food processor and grind until sandy. You want to keep some graininess for a good texture..
- In a metal bowl. whisk eggs and powdered sugar until all sugar is dissolved..
- Heat a saucepan full of water on the stove..
- Place bowl with eggs in the water and heat until about40-43°C. It needs to be this temperature to create the correct consistency..
- When eggs are heated, mix with a mixer or whisk until a thick texture and slightly lighter color..
- Mix with the nut mixture and let rest for at least an hour to thicken..
- Pile the mixture onto oblaten or a substitute for oblaten*. The lebkuchen should be rounded in the middle and the dough extended to the edges. [*I use almost flavorless crackers. Thin, lightly flavored cookies may work as well. I heard some people have used foil, but you need to remove after baking.].
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake at 200°C/400°F for about 15 minutes..
- Let cool completely and brush with melted chocolate. Decorate with almonds or sprinkles and let chocolate dry before eating..