Lemper Ayam (Steamed Sticky Rice with Umami Chicken Layered). Lemper ayam is basically a steamed glutinous rice/sticky rice snack with chicken floss (or other savory) Steam the sticky/glutinous rice with salt, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, daun salam, and pandan leaves. Then, spread all the spiced chicken floss on top and press again into an even layer. Lemper Ayam is definitely one of my favorite snacks and it's a popular jajanan pasar in Indonesia.
Sticky rice with chicken filling, super delicious! Note: its recommended to soak the sticky rice for a few hours, or a whole night in a decent amount of water. Lemper ayam — sticky rice with chicken filling ingredients. You can cook Lemper Ayam (Steamed Sticky Rice with Umami Chicken Layered) using 22 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Lemper Ayam (Steamed Sticky Rice with Umami Chicken Layered)
- You need of Steam sticky rice.
- You need 1 kg of sticky rice (washed and soaked in water for 3-4 hours before using it).
- It’s 1 L of coconut milk.
- It’s 2 stalks of pandan leaves.
- You need 2 stalks of bay leaves.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s of Chicken filling.
- You need 2 pcs of chicken breast (boiled with 2 pcs of kaffir lime leaves to remove the odor then shredded into small pieces).
- You need 8 cloves of shallots.
- You need 6 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 3 pcs of candlenuts.
- It’s 1 tbs of coriander seed.
- You need 100 ml of coconut milk (or you can replace it with chicken stock).
- It’s 2 pcs of kaffir lime leaves.
- Prepare 1 stalk of lemongrass.
- It’s 1 tbs of salt.
- It’s 1 tbs of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of white pepper.
- Prepare of Oil.
- You need of The wrap.
- It’s leaves of Banana.
- It’s of Tooth pick.
Sort of sticky rice dumpling stuffed with shredded spiced chicken. This is one of Indonesia's favourite snacks. Place a tablespoon of the chicken mixture in the centre of the rice and, using the foil, lift the rice around the mixture so that the end result is croquette shape with the rice covering the filling on all. Ideally, you would steam the sticky rice.
Lemper Ayam (Steamed Sticky Rice with Umami Chicken Layered) step by step
- Put the soaked sticky rice into steamer and steam about 10-15 mins. Set aside. On other sauce pan, boil the coconut cream together with pandan leaves, bay leaves and a pinch of salt. Put the steamed sticky rice to the sauce pan and stir until it well mixed and all the sticky rice is covered by coconut milk. Then put back again to steamer and steam to another 40-50 minutes or until the rice well cooked. Set aside. Anyway, dont forget to brush your steamer with a bit of oil before steam the rice.
- Put shallot, garlic, candlenut, coriander seed on food processor, then add kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass with a bit of oil on fry pan, Sauté until smell good. Put the shredded chicken, add sugar, salt and white pepper, stir again. Last but not least, put coconut milk/chicken stock and stir again until the liquid runs dry. You have to make the chicken a bit dry in texture. Set aside..
- Put sticky rice on bottom, layered with chicken and sticky rice again on baking tray/pyrex, cool-off until a bit hard, cut-off into small square then wrap it one by one. As the rice very sticky, dont forget to brush any tools with oil even if you use baking paper like mine. And also brush your knive with oil too before cutting off the lemper.
If the rice is too mushy/overcooked, don't be afraid and just make your lemper! Set an oven on low heat and put the lemper until they dry out. Sticky rice filled with a chicken ragout. Place a tablespoon of the chicken mixture in the centre of the rice and, using the foil, lift the rice around the mixture so that the end result is croquette shape with the rice covering the filling on all sides. Sort of sticky rice dumpling stuffed with stuffed shredded spiced chicken.