Baklava. CUT the baklava after assembly and before cooking, and top with butter to make everything smooth and "pretty". Put the cooled sauce on as soon as you pull the baklava out of the oven. It tastes like the baklava I buy in the Greek stores downtown and a LOT cheaper per piece.
It is characteristic of the cuisines of Turkey, Egypt, Iraq, Levant and the. Melt the butter over low heat. Cut a diagonal diamond pattern in the baklava using a very sharp knife. You can have Baklava using 10 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Baklava
- It’s 1 packages of Phyllo dough (comes with 2 rolls).
- You need 4 cup of Pecans or Walnuts (I use pecans).
- It’s 1 tsp of Cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 1/2 stick of Butter (melted).
- Prepare 2 cup of Honey (16oz).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Water.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Sugar.
- It’s 3 tsp of Vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of American Honey whiskey (optional).
- Prepare 1 stick of Butter (for sauce).
Many ethnic festivals are held in my city throughout the year. One in May is the Greek Hellenic Festival. My family enjoys baklava—a traditional walnut strudel. The recipe uses phyllo dough, which is not difficult to work with.
Baklava step by step
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Unroll the phyllo dough and place a moist kitchen towel over the sheets. Do NOT let the dough d.
- Generously butter your choice of baking pan. If the phyllo dough is a lot larger trim the dough with kitchen scissors. You will always be using 2 phyllo sheets at a time..
- Melt butter (1 1/2 sticks).
- Mix nuts and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Pick up 2 phyllo sheets and place into the buttered baking dish.
- Using a basting brush, brush melted butter onto the phyllo sheets you placed in the baking dish.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 three more times.
- Sprinkle nuts on top of the buttered phyllo. (A single layer that covers the dough).
- Pick up 2 phyllo sheets and place on top the nuts, butter, add nuts.
- Repeat until you run out of nuts (approx 4 more times).
- Now begin layering and buttering just the phyllo dough like in steps 5 & 6. Repeat 4-5x.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into squares and then into a diamond pattern. Place in the oven for 30-40 min or when the baklava is a deep golden brown..
- In a saucepan melt 1 stick of butter, water, sugar, honey, vanilla, whiskey (optional). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove baklava from the oven and slowly pour 1/2 the sauce over the golden baklava. Once absorbed, pour the remaining sauce..
- Allow the baklava to cool uncovered for serval hours. It tastes better with time. Note: It can get soggy if covered..
Just have your ingredients ready to go and follow the directions on the package. The results are scrumptious and well worth the effort. Baklava is a delicious phyllo pastry popular in Middle Eastern countries. Its supposed origins are Turkish, dating to the Byzantine Empire (or even further), though many cultures claim it for their own. Many Greek and Lebanese restaurants serve it, and it is now a featured dessert of several former Ottoman countries.