Easy Caramelized Onion Tart. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with vegetable cooking. I bake this tart on the lower oven rack to prevent onions from burning. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter on medium heat.
In a pan over medium-low heat, melt butter and add the sliced onions. Cook onions, stirring occasionally until colored a deep caramelized brown. Line a sheet tray with parchment and lay out puff pastry. You can cook Easy Caramelized Onion Tart using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Easy Caramelized Onion Tart
- You need of Crust.
- It’s 250 g of flour.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 80 ml of olive oil (or 40ml olive oil + 40ml vegetable oil).
- You need 100 ml of warm water.
- It’s of Filling.
- It’s 6 of big onions, thinly sliced.
- It’s 30 g of margarine or vegan butter.
- Prepare 2 tsp of sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of red wine vinegar (optional).
- Prepare of (to taste) salt, pepper, thyme.
Melt the oil and butter in a large frying pan. You are looking to soften the onions, but not brown them. Once the onions are translucent, turn the heat up a fraction, enough to bubble the white wine when added. Caramelized onions are the backbone of many dishes, but it's time to give these humble alliums a turn in the spotlight.
Easy Caramelized Onion Tart instructions
- For the crust: combine all ingredients in a Tupperware container. Close the lid and shake it vigorously until dough comes together. Press the ball of dough in a tart pan lined with baking paper. Pierce with a fork.
- For the filling: heat a small amount of oil in a wide pan over medium low heat. Add the onions and cook for around 20min, until jammy but not browned! Season to taste, add sugar, vinegar and butter.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake in a 180°C/350°F oven for 30min or until onions are caramelized and the crust is a bit golden. I bake this tart on the lower oven rack to prevent onions from burning.
Sweet and deeply flavored, a tart covered with caramelized onions needs little embellishment and is a great way to use up the big bag of onions you picked up at the grocery store or farm stand. (Image credit: Brie Passano) Caramelized onions add mouthwatering flavor to almost any dish. From quiches and pizza, to burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches, this is one ingredient that will take your cooking up to a new level. We'll show you step by step how easy it is to make mouthwatering caramelized onions on your stovetop. Peel the onions and then slice into super thin rounds. Heat a medium skillet over low heat.