Crockpot Greek Yogurt.
You can have Crockpot Greek Yogurt using 15 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Crockpot Greek Yogurt
- Prepare 1 gallon of milk.
- Prepare 1 of Single-serving 6 oz Yogurt cup (with live yogurt cultures).
- You need of Cooking tools.
- It’s of Big crockpot.
- It’s of Whisk.
- It’s cup of Measuring.
- It’s of Paper towels or cheese cloth, or coffee filters.
- Prepare of Ladle.
- It’s Containers of to put yogurt in.
- It’s of Thick bath towel.
- It’s of Timer.
- It’s of whole, 1%, 2% or skim Pasteurized Milk, but do NOT use ultra-pasteurized because it won’t work.).
- Prepare of Make less- just use a half gallon of milk and 1/2 cup yogurt with live culture.
- Prepare of When buying yogurt, make sure it has active live culture or this will not work. You can get plain or flavored. Keep in mind if you use flavored your whole batch will be that flavor!.
- It’s of So the yellowish liquid that dripped out of the yoghurt was whey it’s proteine. (can be saved and used for making homemade bread).
Crockpot Greek Yogurt step by step
- Make your yogurt on a weekend day when you are home to monitor. (After the 3 hour mark, you can go to bed.) I like to start mine around 2 pm or 3pm.
- Plug in your crock pot and turn to low. Add the gallon of milk. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.(don’t remove lid) SET TIMER.
- Unplug your crock pot. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.(don’t remove lid) SET TIMER.
- When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in 6oz yogurt cup of store-bought live/active culture,Then dump the bowl contents back into the crock pot. Whisk to combine..
- Put the lid back on your crock pot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crockpot for insulation.(Don’t remove towel or lid.).
- Go to bed or let it sit for 8 hours.- 12hrs (don’t remove lid or towel).
- In the morning, the yogurt will have thickened to the consistency of low-fat plain yogurt..
- Place Cheese cloth or paper towels, or coffee filters into a colander and ladle the yogurt into it, place the colander into a big bowl or in the sink.(I have pets and children, so I put a plate over top and a paper towels over the other smaller colander, I used 2 colanders and found that coffee filters was the best way.).
- Let it sit for 1 hr until thick and creamy. (the longer you let it set the better.) you have to check on it, because if the colander is setting in liquid it won’t drain, just dump it out..
- How to make it Greek yogurt- I put mine in the refrigerator and checking it every 2 hrs, on it making sure the liquid wasn’t touching the colander, if so just dump it out, can leave sit overnight for a thick Greek yogurt, that’s what I did.) keep in mind you want to use a lot of yogurt..
- Chill in a plastic container(s) in the refrigerator. Your fresh yogurt will last 7-10 days (this was the messy part, getting it all off the coffee filters).
- Flavor to fit your taste, you can also use this in place of sour cream..
- Notes- https://youtu.be/fqhP1u17Arw.
- Notes- https://youtu.be/Ul5qoEc1X2A.
- Iam not sure if I can put this on here. If you plan on making this on a regular basis to replace store yogurt, I recommend something like this, I seen this on YouTube.This would be so much easier and not going through so many coffee filters or cheese cloth. I think iam going to be getting one… mainly so it’s not so messy and I don’t lose that much yogurt. It’s not a maker it just drains the liquid off!.
- My starter yogurt, next time think I will use a flavored kind..