Squash Pumpkin pie.
You can cook Squash Pumpkin pie using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Squash Pumpkin pie
- It’s of Flaky Pie Crust.
- Prepare 260 g of all purpose flour.
- It’s 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- It’s 90 g of unsalted cold butter diced.
- It’s 60 g of shortener (fat or margarin).
- You need 5-8 tablespoon of iced water.
- Prepare of Pumpkin filling.
- You need 300 g of to 500g pumpkin puree.
- Prepare 2 of eggs 1 extra yolk.
- Prepare 60 g of granulated sugar.
- You need 2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
- You need 200 ml of heavy whipping cream.
- Prepare Half of teaspoon salt.
- Prepare 30 g of unsalted softened butter.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of rum/optional.
Squash Pumpkin pie instructions
- Mix the dry ingredients for the crust. Add the diced butter and mix by hand or machine no spatula or whisker. By hand you should mix as if playing with sand while at times pressing at the butter with your palm then mixing again. After 2 minute it should come together into crumb like sizes..
- Add the shortening. I used fat, it should be around 3 to 4 tablespoon. Mix it into the dough like the butter. It should be ready when you can keep it together into palm sized portions..
- Add the water one at a time after mixing. Count the portion because sometimes its enough with 5 spoons, sometimes you need 7 or 8 to get the right dough. Try making it into a ball while mixing and at times pressing down with your palm. Its good when you can roll it into a smooth ball. The texture should be wet when you press it but not enough to let out water. It us ready when there is no dough stucking to your bowl..
- Roll out a plastuc wrap put the ball down and press it into a small disc. Wrap it then refrigate 30minute to 3 hours. It depends on the brand of your butter and shortening. Margarin needs more time than fat to be solid again..
- If you plan for a no-bake filling then bake the crus for about 30 minutes after rolling it into a 9 inch sized circle and putting it into your pan..
- For baked filling if its the texture like yogurt then pre-bake it for 7to10 minute until the sides are golden in color then cool it for 30min. You should use pie weight to keep the middle from moving upward. If the texture us close to that of jam than just bake it together. Usually if the filling is good then the crust is finished too, but you should see the crust sides turn golden..
- For the filling you should either bake, boil or steam your pumpkin then squash the pulo or just use a chopper. Its okay to buy ready made pumpkin or puree. Wait until it cools..
- Mix the egg and yolk with sugar for 2min until it turns slightly brigther in color. Mix the pumpkin with the spice thoroughly then add it to the mixture. Finally pour the whipping cream then mix for 2 min or until it thickens slightly..
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked crust then bake it for 15 min on 200C° then turn down to 180C° and bake it for 30 min. Its good when the filling leaves no trace on the knife edge or the crust turns golden. Leave to cool for 30 min..