You can cook Thanksgiving Turkey using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Thanksgiving Turkey
- You need of whole thawed Turkey.
- It’s of butter.
- It’s of Canola or vegetable oil.
- You need of Trussing twine.
- You need of Course salt.
- You need of Pepper.
- Prepare of Aromatics.
- You need of red apple, quartered.
- You need of Red onion, halved.
- It’s of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare of Star anise.
- Prepare of Fresh sage.
- You need of Fresh rosemary.
- It’s of chicken stock.
Thanksgiving Turkey instructions
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Combine aromatics and stock in a microwave safe dish and microwave on full power for 5 minutes. You can also perform this on a stovetop. Just place ingredients into a small sauce pan, with a lid, bring to a boil and remove from stove. Set aside to cool..
- Remove items from turkey cavity (giblets, neck, etc,). Pat dry with paper towels. Gently, starting from the cavity and working toward the neck, push your hands between the skin and meat of the bird. Work slowly to not tear the skin. Melt butter in a microwave safe dish and then pour the butter in between the skin and meat..
- Take the steeped aromatics now that they have cooled and place into the cavity..
- Tie the legs of the bird together with cooking twine. Tie a strand of cooking twine around the breast and wings to keep snug..
- Rub the bird in vegetable or canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Place breast side down, and put into oven on bottom rack. Set a timer for 30 minutes..
- At 30 minutes drop the temp to 350°F. Start basting every 45 minutes, by taking out of the oven and. 45 minutes until bird is ready, flip over. Cut center truss string and remove. Check temp by inserting thermometer into side of breast. Once it's at 165, remove bird to rest for 15 minutes..