Beef Rendang. Beef Rendang has incredible depth of flavour, with complexity and many layers of spices. This Beef Rendang recipe is from a payroll lady at a company I used to work for. Beef Rendang – the best and authentic beef rendang recipe online!
It is served at special occasions to honor guests and during festive seasons. Rendang originates from the Minangkabau ethnic from West Sumatra. With the migration of Minangkabau immigrants to its neighbouring countries such as Singapore and Malaysia, it was then. You can cook Beef Rendang using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Beef Rendang
- Prepare 3 kg of chuck or blade steak.
- It’s 25 of red chillies deseeded if you like it mild.
- It’s 10 of garlic.
- It’s 3 of cinnamon barks.
- You need 3 sticks of lemongrass.
- It’s 15 of cloves.
- You need 10 of Salam leaves subs with 7 bay leaves.
- It’s 20 of kaffir lime leaves.
- You need 2 cm of ginger.
- You need 5 cm of galangal.
- Prepare 1.5 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need 1.5 tsp of tumeric (I omit it here).
- It’s 1 TBSP of sugar.
- You need 1 TBSP of salt.
- You need 1.5 litres of coconut cream.
Rendang is an Indonesian spicy meat dish originating from the Minangkabau region in West Sumatra, Indonesia. It has spread across Indonesia to the cuisines of neighbouring Southeast Asian countries. Rendang is a caramelized meat curry dish from West Sumatra, Indonesia. It needs hours of slow cooking until the coconut milk is caramelized and turns into its signature luscious texture.
Beef Rendang instructions
- Blend using about 400 mL coconut cream all the spice but lemongrass, cinnamon barks, kaffir lime leaves, Salam leaves and galangal..
- Cook the spice mix on low heat including all the leaves, galangal, nutmeg, salt, pepper and sugar without oil or water until fragrant and oily (pic 2).
- Add the diced meat, turn up the heat to medium and make sure meat is covered with the sauce. After 10 minutes of cooking and the juice from meat is out (pic 2) you might want to use your pressure cooker and cook for 10-15 minutes. (Blade steak for 20 minutes).
- Safely open the pressure cooker’s lid and take out all the meat and set aside..
- Add the remaining coconut cream and keep cooking the sauce on low heat for about 3-5 hours on low heat, stir occasionally. The sauce should be dark and looks creamy (pic 2). The original recipe called for cooking the meat and sauce on low heat for about 9 hours. You can cut the cooking time, but it’s not rendang, it’s called kalio..
- Put the meat and sauce together and cook for a further 15-30 minutes..
- Serve with steam rice and fresh salad leaves / chopped cucumbers..
This beef rendang recipe yields buttery, juicy beef smothered in a thick, rich, caramelized, aromatic curry sauce. Learn how to make authentic Indonesian beef rendang in your own kitchen with an easy. This authentic recipe for beef rendang turns out a tender Southeast Asian dish that is full of flavor. Beef Rendang is a flavorful West Sumatran dry curry that's made with beef, that's cooked together with a spice paste and coconut milk until fork-tender. It's then fried together with the remaining braising.