Family favourite shepherds pie. Family Favorite Shepherds Pie Lean ground beef with a simple homemade gravy, topped with peas, carrots and a thick layer of buttery and creamy mashed potatoes. This family favorite shepherd's pie is made with spicy ground beef, green beans, and a super easy buttery potato crust. Shepherd's pie is technically a savory meat pie made with ground lamb simmered in a gravy or broth.
My family actually called it "hamburger pie" and I actually didn't realize everyone else called it "shepherd's pie" until after I was married. This recipe is a long time family favourite which has been pleasing generations of families for years and years! When it comes right down to it that is not surprising. You can have Family favourite shepherds pie using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Family favourite shepherds pie
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 of large onion, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 stick of celery, finely chopped.
- You need 3 of medium carrots, finely chopped1 tbsp olive oil.
- You need 8-10 of potatoes, boiled and mashed with a little butter and salt to taste (you could do more if you like lots of mash on top like us!).
- You need 500 g of lean beef mince.
- It’s 300 g of frozen Quorn mince.
- You need 350 ml of veg stock – we use bouillon as its vegan and organic.
- Prepare 1 of beef oxo cube (optional if you're using beef mince).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of plain flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- It’s 1 of level tsp smoked paprika.
- You need 1 of heaped tsp marmite (it makes all the difference – even if you're a marmite hater!).
- You need 1 tsp of tomato puree.
It is simple ingredients put together in a delicious way. You cannot beat the simple things for bringing comfort into a Home Sweet Home. Shepherd's Pie is a family-friendly meal that can be made for a few or many. Rustic Shepherd's Pie for Dinner This post contains affiliate links.
Family favourite shepherds pie instructions
- Heat the oil in a large pan (oven proof if possible to save on washing up!) Add the veg and cook for 10-15 mins until lovely and soft..
- Add the beef mince and cook for 5 minutes or so until browned. Now add the Quorn mince and cook for a few minutes..
- Sprinkle over the Oxo cube and paprika and stir into the mince. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir again. Add a few tbsps of stock and cook for a minute or two to allow the mince to absorb the flavour..
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir well into the mince mix. Gradually add half of the remaining stock and simmer for a few minutes. The liquid should start to thicken. At this point, add the marmite and the tomato puree and stir again..
- Add a little more of the stock and keep adding until the "gravy" reaches the desired consistency. You may not need all the stock..
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and take off the heat. If you have time, let the mince mixture and the mash cool a little as it's easier to build the pie when its had time to cool down..
- When ready, pour the mince mix into a large ovenproof dish. Spoon the mashed potato on the top and fluff up with a fork..
- Cook in a preheated oven at 190˚ for about 25-35 minutes. (If you have left the mixture to cool completely beforehand, reduce the heat of the oven to 180˚ and cook for 40 – 45 minutes.).
- Serve with some fresh green veg whilst piping hot. Try not to fall out over the crispy bits!.
When you purchase through these links you help support the costs of publishing this blog. This comforting recipe is simple and easy to make and a family favorite. Shepherd's Pie is a casserole made of creamy mashed potatoes on top of a rich stew. The bottom layer is a mix of seasoned ground beef, peas, carrots, and corn. Then it's topped with the mashed potatoes that form a golden crust when baked in the oven.