Gulai Ayam – Indonesian Chicken Curry. Using a flavorful array of spices, in this video, Seraphine is going to show you how to cook authentic Indonesian chicken curry, or as it's called here. Excite your tastebuds with this traditional Indonesian dish originating from West Sumatra. It's chicken cooked in spicy rich sauce not as dark as Indian.
No wonder leading up to Sunday, I had gulai ayam on my mind. Indonesians also have their Kari Ayam (Chicken Curry). This Kari Ayam normally doesn't use chili peppers and thus, it is not hot like Gulai Ayam. You can have Gulai Ayam – Indonesian Chicken Curry using 18 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Gulai Ayam – Indonesian Chicken Curry
- Prepare 1 of whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 750 ml of water.
- You need 200 ml of coconut milk.
- You need 1 of lemongrass, bruised and knotted.
- You need 5 of kaffir limes leaves.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s of Spice Paste :.
- You need 2 of big red chilies.
- It’s 5 of shallots.
- Prepare 5 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 5 of candlenuts.
- Prepare 1 cm of ginger.
- Prepare 2 teaspoon of coriander seeds.
- You need 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1 teaspoon of sugar.
In my recipe, I substitute chili peppers with sambal oelek since it is sometimes not easy to find red or Thai chili peppers in the Asian grocery stores in my. Try out this rich Indonesian chicken curry, locally referred to as 'Gulai Ayam'. Doused in traditional Malay ingredients like coconut milk and Kaffir lime paired with fiery Thai chilies and lemongrass, this chicken curry will leave your palate reeling. Simple to make and heavenly to devour, the Gulai Ayam.
Gulai Ayam – Indonesian Chicken Curry instructions
- Grind all the spice paste ingredients..
- Heat oil in a soup pot and fry the spice paste. Add lemongrass, kaffir limes leaves and bay leaves until fragrant, around 3-5 minutes..
- Add chicken. Cook until chicken are no longer pink..
- Pour water into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked and tender..
- Pour the coconut milk and cook for another 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and serve immediately with steamed rice..
Indonesia is a big country, and cuisines of many regions combined make up what we know as Indonesian cuisine. I never throw away the extra sauce even when all the chicken is gone. The extra curry sauce elevates a humble meal of steamed rice and fried egg into a delicious meal. Gulai ayam (Minangkabau and Indonesian for 'gulai chicken') is a traditional Indonesian dish of chicken cooked in a spicy, rich, yellowish, curry-like sauce called gulai. It is originally from West Sumatra (Padang).