Thieboudienne. Thieboudienne literally translated means the rice of fish in the Wolof language in Senegal. The name hardly does the dish justice. Thieboudienne is considered to be the national dish of Senegal and for.
Main menu: Red Rice And Fish (Tieboudienne ) in Wolof. It is one of our national dish in Senegal. Very good and not complicated you just have to follow the. You can cook Thieboudienne using 20 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Thieboudienne
- It’s of 1 1/2 cups rice broken rice.
- It’s of 4 Large pieces white fish snapper or grouper.
- Prepare of 3 tomatoes mashed.
- Prepare of 3 Ttablespoons tomato paste.
- It’s of 1 bunch parsley crushed.
- You need of 1 large Carrot peeled and cut into medium pieces.
- It’s of 1 sweet potato peeled and chopped into large chunks.
- Prepare of 1 large onion chopped.
- Prepare of 4 cloves garlic finely chopped (divided).
- It’s of 1 small eggplant sliced.
- You need of 1 small cabbage cut into 4 pieces.
- Prepare of 1/2 cup peanut oil.
- You need of 2 Maggi cubes.
- Prepare of 1 Tablespoon nététou.
- It’s of 2 Tablespoons smoked fish shredded or ground.
- You need of 2 habanero peppers de-seeded and diced..
- You need of 1 Tablespoon black pepper.
- Prepare of salt to taste.
- You need of 4 okra.
- It’s of 6 cups hot water.
Thieboudienne is the national dish of Senegal, an aromatic combination of fish, vegetables, and rice in a hearty tomato sauce flavored with garlic and chili. Fish, vegetables, and rice are usually served. Heard of Thieboudienne, or ceebu jen? It is a traditional, one pot, fish and stew dish that is well-liked in Senegal and gaining popularity far and wide.
- Prepare the stuffing or puree/marinade for fish : In a food processor or mortar and pestle blend or crush the parsley, half the garlic, 1 Maggi cube, plus a little salt and pepper to taste and a spoon of oil..
- Cut slits if in the flesh of the fish and stuff the puree inside or slather the fillets with the puree and refrigerate for a couple of hours. (Reserve leftover puree) Make the tomato sauce..
- Heat the oil to medium high and add the onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, the black pepper and remaining garlic. Then fry for 15 minutes..
- Add the stuffed or marinated fish into the tomato sauce..
- Add the Maggi cube, bay leaves, nététou, smoked fish, habaneros and 1 cup of water..
- Simmer until the fish pieces are cooked through, about 15 minutes..
- Remove the fish and add vegetables Remove the fish pieces and add all the vegetables except okra with 1 cup of water and cook the vegetables until they are cooked approximately 25-30 minutes..
- You must ensure that the vegetables are tender before removing them, but take care to not overcook them. Then remove the vegetables and add the okra with water. Cook for 5 minutes more than remove the okra.
- Cooking the Rice Cook the rice over low heat, stir often and cook until tender..
Due to its popularity most people would refer to this dish. Thieboudienne (Senegalese Fish and Rice) Penny de los Santos. The national dish of Senegal, this boldly flavored combination of fish, rice, and vegetables simmered in tomato sauce is a hearty. Thieboudienne or chebu jen (Wolof: ceebu jën; French: thiéboudienne, thiéboudiène, thiébou dieune, phonetic approximations of the Wolof) is a traditional dish from Senegal. Called 'che-boo-jen', thieboudienne is popular in Senegal.